If you are considering renting a snowmobile chances are you have little, if any, riding experience. Renting a snowmobile in NH for a day or weekend is a great way to experience the sport and get a feel for it, to see if it’s for you. But before you do please consider the following to ensure you have a fun and safe experience:
Snowmobile Rental Accidents
- Out of approximately 42,000+ registered snowmobiles in NH, only 318 are rental units
- Yet 32% of snowmobile accidents in the 2017/2018 season involved a rented snowmobile
- Inexperience was a contributing factor in all of those accidents
Take a Snowmobile Safety Course
First and foremost, all beginners should take a snowmobile safety course, either in the classroom or online. The live classes are free and extremely informative no matter what your age. Short of that, if I could inform all perspective renters and inexperienced riders of three things to keep them safe, no make that four, what would they be? Considering that most of our accidents occur in corners, they are:
Renting a Snowmobile: What You Need to Know
- My Side is the Right Side! Stay to the right at all times.
- Don’t be lazy. Snowmobiling is an active ride! Don’t just steer your machine. Put your body weight forward and lean into the turns to gain more control. Keep your eyes on where you want to go, not on the trees straight ahead!
- Lower speeds = a safe ride! Use less brake and less throttle in the corners. Don’t panic and automatically squeeze your brakes. Just ease up on the throttle and maintain control.
- Do not use hand signals! Counting down does not add up – always anticipate other riders on the trail. The only way to maintain control is to keep your hands on the bars for safety.
Snowmobile Rental Tips
Sure, there are hundreds of other tips but what our officers see the most is beginners who fail to navigate turns and maintain control of their sleds. For more safe riding tips, as well as information on where to ride, laws, safety education classes, and registration requirements, check out the NH Fish and Game website.
State law requires all rental agents and dealers to inform renters and purchasers of the laws and penalties as well as a trail map.
Lear more about where to rent snowmobiles in NH.
You must be logged in to post a comment.